Decorating with Black
ADDING JUST A BIT OF BLACK
Lean your art against the wall.
Use furniture to highlight a piece of art.
WHERE TO ADD BLACK ACCENTS
Ideas for a dab of black include:
- Wrought iron bed frames or stair railings
- Upholstery fabric or leather
- Painted walls or wall coverings
- Lamps or lampshades
- The inside surfaces of a built-in shelving system
- Picture frames
- Black and white photos or paintings
- Granite or marble countertops in the bath or kitchen
A LITTLE BIT GOES A LONG WAY
- Black can add drama, sophistication, austerity or masculinity. Do keep in mind that black is a strong color, so just a little goes a long way.
Some people are bold enough to decorate with black as the main hue in their design plan, but do be cautious: Too much black can be overpowering.
Think about combining black with other colors, because it goes well with almost all shades, especially white and cream. Black also looks beautiful with soft pastels and bold jewel tones.
Add a dash of black to your rooms this season to anchor your design style.
Prop up your art on the fireplace mantle.