Enhance Your Guest Room
MAKE YOUR GUESTS FEEL AT HOME
Some guest rooms seem like an afterthought, with a mishmash of furniture and linens and a closetful of stuff, while others are carefully planned to help visitors feel pampered and comfortable.
Think your guest room could use some TLC? Don’t worry, it’s easy to make a guest room more inviting, and it doesn’t have to do with the size of the room or the cost of the elements in it. It’s much more about the details you include to add comfort and function.
HOW TO GET STARTED
First and foremost, clear some of your stuff from the closet, so guests can hang their clothes and store their shoes out of sight. Also clean out at least a couple of drawers from a dresser for visitors to stow their socks and t-shirts.
Think about where people can put their suitcases or sit to put on shoes and socks. A bench at the foot of the bed is perfect.
If there’s enough space in your guest room, set up a sitting area with a cozy chair or two, good lighting, and a small table.
ADD COMFORT AND FUNCTION
Additional elements to consider for your guest room are:
- A high-quality mattress and good bed linens
- Pillows with various stuffing materials and a couple of firmness levels
- Several blankets or throws, so guests can adjust to their own heat level
- A ceiling fan and/or space heater as needed
- Window fashions that provide privacy and block out the morning light
- Side tables or nightstands on both sides of the bed, with good lighting for reading
Upgrade your guest room this season, and you’ll be ready to host your holiday visitors in style.